How to Make Glass Paintings
Glass Paintings » How to Make Glass Paintings
Glass painting is a beautiful art. These paintings look elegant, and help you not only make beautiful wall hangings, but also beautify the water glasses, wine glasses, and glass windows of your house. When you see these paintings, you might feel that only professional or expert can only make such paintings. This is not true. With a little practice and passion for art, anyone can learn to make beautiful glass paintings. We would discuss the same, and in the latter part of the article read a step-by step guide on how to make glass paintings. However, before that we would discuss the basic things essential for making a painting, and some generic instructions that will help you make a beautiful painting.
Basic requirements for making a glass painting:
These paintings look elegant, and at times might make one think that it is impossible to make such a painting at home. However, the tips, and step-by-step guide given below will help you make the painting. Before you begin the painting you must make sure that you have all the required material with you. To help you with it, we have given below a list of basic requirements.
- Choosing the right glass is important. For practicing, you can use an old water glass, dish, etc. For making a proper painting a 3mm glass sheet is perfect.
- For cleaning the glass you would need thinner, soap, water, cleaning fluids, acetone and alcohol for stubborn stains, etc. A clean cloth to wipe the glass, and tissues to clean the glass such that there are no stains on it.
- Colors � You get particular colors for glass paintings in stationary stores and hobby shops. An Outliner is essential to give a perfect finish to your painting, and give it a 3D look. Sparkle colors, golden powder, etc., will also be needed, depending upon the design.
- Design � Choose a design. You can surf the web and you will get many designs.
- Chart paper and cello tape � Trace the design on a chart paper and stick the same on the hind side of the glass, using cello tapes, or just place it below the glass sheet.
- Cotton roll and buds to clean any excess color or incorrect design
- Assure proper illumination in the room where you are making this painting. For better output, place a lamp or light below/besides the glass sheet.
How to make glass paintings?
The step-by-step guide for making glass paintings given below will help you make a perfect painting. Read the same carefully, before you start your painting.
- Clean the glass surface. Whatever it be, a glass sheet, window glass, water glass, wine glass, etc., first clean it with water, soap, and wipe it dry. Do not leave any stains on the glass.
- Choose a design; trace the same on a paper. Beginners can choose simple designs and draw the same on the paper. This helps you to avoid any mistakes, and gives you a clear idea of what you want to paint on the glass. The image given below will give you a clear idea. In a similar way, you sketch your design on a chart paper.
- Decide the colors. Look at the design for few minutes, and using your imagination skills choose the colors. Choose the right brushes. For very delicate design make use of thin bristled brush.
There are specific glass paints available in the market. If you paint on glass, it would be washed out frequently, thus you must opt for bake on paint. For a wall hanging you can use acrylic colors or air dry paints. Air dry paints can be later baked, which will in turn increase the life span of the painting. This is essential for professional paintings, wherein the artist has to put the painting in the kiln to give a protective shield to the colors used in the painting.
- Place the glass on the design as shown in the image below.
- Always begin with the outline. Make a rough outline. You can use a marker for this. This will give you an idea of the design, and you can then fill in the right colors. If you do not make an outline and directly start the painting with the help of the design placed below the glass, you might get confused. Thus, make an outline, and then let it dry for some time.
- After 15-20 minutes, start coloring the design. Let all the colors dry, and then use a 3D outliner to give a perfect finishing to the painting.
- In this painting the remaining glass is colored using golden color. You can place a crushed aluminum foil below the painting, and get it framed. This foil will give a different look to your painting. Alternatively, you can leave it blank. As seen in the image, a black outliner has enhanced the painting. Let the painting dry for some time. Do not leave it in a place where there is sunlight or dust. You can get it framed and use it as a wall hanging in your house.
Make a glass painting yourself now. Choose a design, get the required materials, and get started. It is a bit difficult for beginners, but not impossible. Boost your creativity and make beautiful paintings. Get started.